This recipe is modified from one I found online to make it healthier. It’s a very tasty way to get your leafy greens, and turkey is high in protein and low in saturated fat.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 5-6 chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, torn, stems removed
- 14 ounce box of whole grain pasta (penne, macaroni, etc.)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (I was out so I used colby – and obviously I used more than 1/3 cup!)
- Saute the onion in the oil for 2 minutes, then add ground turkey & cook until browned.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, spices, salt, pepper, and spinach. Simmer for 10 minutes until spinach is soft.
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions.
- Pour cooked pasta in with other ingredients and mix well. Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake at 400 until the dish is hot and cheese is melted.