About Baby Steps Childbirth Education
Baby Steps was founded in 2007 by 3 former teachers of the Bradley Method who also had training and experience doulas. As students during their own first pregnancies, they realized how little clear, evidence-based information is readily available to parents-to-be. They took their combined knowledge, mixed with a lot of hard work and love, to create a group of classes for new parents. The company has since changed hands to other doulas, and was purchased by the current owner Susie Miles, at the start of 2015.
Whatever you want your birth experience to be, Baby Steps has a class for you that is open, honest, and well-researched. Having a baby is a time of great excitement and joy. It is also a time when many new decisions and choices need to be made. Our classes offer something for every stage of this amazing time, including birth place alternatives, the circumcision decision, postpartum, breastfeeding, and baby-wearing.
It is our goal to offer you support through pregnancy, birth, & beyond. Our passion is simple: we want to share the knowledge we’ve been given by others, helping expectant parents find the confidence they need to make the decisions that are best for their families.
Baby Steps CBE, LLC Mission Statement
• To offer pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and postpartum classes to expectant and new parents, regardless of marital status, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, financial status, or any other categorization.
• To provide evidence-based information to parents, and to teach them how to interpret this and other information so that they can make informed decisions about what is best for their families.
• To support birth choices and breastfeeding.
• To help families feel empowered by and responsible for their own health care decisions and decisions regarding the health care of their children.
• To work for a society where expectant and laboring individuals are treated with respect, as healthy, strong, and capable of making their own informed choices, laboring without interference, and giving birth under their own power if they so choose.
About the Owner
Susie Miles is a seeker of knowledge, with a passion for education and helping others. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Southern California, as well as a Master of Science in Engineering Management, also from USC. She has a successful career in the aerospace and defense industry, but she decided to pursue her true passion, birth education, lactation counseling, and being a doula. Her education, founded solidly in scientific principles, brings her a unique and passionate interest in scientific studies and the evidence surrounding birth choices. In addition to being a Baby Steps Childbirth Educator, she is a DONA Certified Birth Doula as well as a postpartum doula.
Susie is a breastfeeding, babywearing, attachment parenting mother to a wonderful boy. She had an epidural free, midwife assisted water birth with the support of both her loving husband and a doula. She is active in the Atlanta Birth Community, attending lactation groups and birth related events, as well as being a member of the Atlanta Chapter of the International Cesarean Awareness Network.
In her free time, she enjoys singing, reading, and riding horses.
Here is a list of Susie’s current classes:
Breastfeeding Your Baby - Online will take place at Online on 03/20/2018 from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Intuitive Birth 5 wk Series - Online will take place at Online on 03/22/2018 - 04/19/2018 from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm